Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Another Golden Oldie

Even as a child, I've always had a fascination with the holocaust and events surrounding World War II. That's probably due to the fact that part of my ancestry comes from Germany, and I still have relatives living there to this day that I've never met. While my German paternal great grandparents were vacationing in New York, they had a son...my grandfather. Being born in the United States made him a U.S. citizen. Years later, when his German government was trying to force him to join the army, he played his American card. He and my grandmother were able to move to the United States. Isn't it amazing how a couple of events can change the lives of families for generations to come? I hope to visit Europe some day, but until then, I can read about Germany and its people. Books take you places!

The following book didn't take place in Germany but a neighboring country...Denmark during the time of World War II. I loved this story, and especially appreciated the note at the end of the book by its author telling which events from the story were fantasy and which were fact. I won't give everything away, but how proud the Danes must be for being able to smuggle seven thousand Jews under the noses of German officials to safety!


Ten-year-old Annemarie Johansen and her best friend Ellen Rosen often think of life before the war. It's now 1943 and their life in Copenhagen is filled with school, food shortages, and the Nazi soldiers marching through town. When the Jews of Denmark are "relocated". Ellen moves in with the Johansens and pretends to be one of the family. Soon Annemarie is asked to go on a dangerous mission to save Ellen's life. An ALA Notable Book. A "School Library Journal" Best Book of the Year. Teacher's Guide. BDD Online-Teacher's Resource Center. F LOW
(Review taken from www.goodreads.com)

No comments: